[Dixielandjazz] Sibellius or Finale or Encore?

dave at creolejazz.com dave at creolejazz.com
Tue Oct 11 17:36:15 PDT 2005

Larry,

The solutions to all of the challenges you mention are really simple. Do you
have "Type Into Score" turned on when entering your chord symbols? It just a
matter of typing "Bb/F", then TAB to the next note then "F/C" or whatever.
It couldn't be any simpler than that. Sounds like you and I do just about
the same sort of work on Finale.

If you want the sound of your chords to play throughout, say, the length of
the measure, you can do that too. If you have a 4/4 bar with eight eighth
notes, for instance, and put the chord symbol above the first eighth note,
Finale will only "play" the chord for the length of that eight note.
Basically, you've told it that chord is for that note and any other notes in
the bar may not have that chord. It's waiting for you to tell it what chord
to "play" over the rest of the measure. You can "trick Finale" by simply
creating invisible whole notes in every measure in another "layer" and
attach the chords to the whole notes. This is also very simple and fast and
after a while just becomes second nature.

The poor quality sound of the PLAYBACK is not a Finale issue but a sound
card issue. Most sound cards don't play midi with a very "good" sound.

Changing the chord symbols font (or music font, or text font, or lyric font,
or any font) size is easy, too. You can do it per document, per measure,
whatever. Even the default size, type, etc. can be changed. Check PROGRAM
OPTIONS.

As I mentioned before, Finale's strengths are in its ability to control
*every* aspect of the output down to the finest detail. Entering and
notating the music is easy, but there is that nasty learning curve to
overcome, just as there is with every good notation program. Give it some
time (which is necessary) and use the pdf manual. It is a terrific resource
and will answer all your questions. Finally, go to the Finale online forums
site for lots of help from many, many experts who know a lot more about it
than I do:

http://forum.makemusic.com/

Good luck.

Dave