[Dixielandjazz] Cheap bookers

tcashwigg at aol.com tcashwigg at aol.com
Tue Nov 29 14:29:22 PST 2005

Unfortunately they are not kidding Mike,  and the reason they are not
kidding is because so many bands have let themselves degenerate to this
level of pay so there will be no shortage of takers lined up for this
gig.

I t breaks down to this on those kind of gigs:

Leader gets $200.00, sidemen get $50.00 each if that, and goes to those
guys just so hungry to play that they will play for little or even
nothing.   The same lists has even more ads for musicians to DONATE
their time for Holiday gigs and work for the good Karma, and wonderful
feeling of sharing their talents, and sadly Every One of them will get
filled.   To make things even worse there are AGENTS who Book these
B.S. Gigs and expect to make a 15% commission too.  :))    These kind
of gigs are usually filled by the same guys who go to BIG BAND
Rehearsals every week for free for two - four hours (to keep their
chops and reading skills up)  for the two to four gigs a year they get
with the Big Band for chump change money)   But Hey they can boast
about being members of a BIG BAND.    And every time they get a gig
they start talking all over again about How BIG BANDS ARE BACK.

Some folks who actually get paid what they are worth should not
complain about it. :))

Cheers,

Tom Wiggins