[Dixielandjazz] Learning to play jazz

Vaxtrpts at aol.com Vaxtrpts at aol.com
Mon Nov 28 12:34:05 PST 2005

In a message dated 11/28/2005 12:04:38 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,
barbonestreet at earthlink.net writes:

It is  the basic framework for learning how to play jazz and taught by others
like  Jamey Aebersold, David Liebman et al.
Learn ALL the scales in ALL the  keys.
Learn ALL the chords in ALL the keys.
Learn the three Modes in ALL  the keys.
Memorize them. Practice them and chord triads until they are  second nature.
Learn how to HEAR them . . . then play  Jazz.

Right on, Steve.  Believe it or not, I think that John Coltrane had  the best
quote ever on learning to play jazz.
"Learn all the music theory that you possibly can, and then when you walk  up
on stage, just forget it all and play music."
I tell the kids all the time that it is like the Prego Spaghetti Sauce
commercial: "it's in there!"
If you have practiced and done lot's of listening, you have the tools to  use
to start playing jazz.
Mike Vax