[Dixielandjazz] Re: Sitting In

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Sat Nov 26 15:00:10 PST 2005

Friends,
My long-time friend Graeme Bell, the well-known and musical active
nonagenarian and respected pioneer of Australian jazz, was playing a solo
piano lunch-time gig in the Brooklyn Hotel in Sydney's (Australia) inner
city Rocks area during the 1970s.
A man walked in, put a clarinet case on the bar and ordered a beer.
When Graeme had finished the bracket, the 'musician' engaged him in
conversation and requested a sit-in.
Graeme, ever cautious, asked him if he was any good.
"Any bloody good?" was the reply, "I used to play clarinet in Graeme Bell's
Dixieland Band".
Then Graeme introduced himself and the man left.
Kind regards,
Bill.