[Dixielandjazz] Sitting In

Barrie Walter Marshall walter.marshall at tiscali.co.uk
Sat Nov 26 03:06:59 PST 2005

I mentioned this as part of another post a little while ago.

One Sunday lunch at my band session a young guy of about 18 walked in
carrying a violin case, he came over and aked me if he could have a play
with the band I said OK, he obviously did not know the rules, as we started
to play the next number he took out his fiddle and boldly walked into the
middle of the band, we all thought we had a bit of a nutter and got a little
worried, he did not play until we indicated, he put bow to fiddle and
proceeded to astonish us all, technique, power, fine improvising, passion in
a hungarian gypsy sort of way, he was brilliant, we let him do the statuary
three numbers, when we got chatting to him in the break, he said he had
never played with a jazz band before just played along to Django recordings,
he started when playing he was seven, he was a very bright young man, a
little later he went to To St Perersburg Conservatory Of Music to study
conducting and singing(he could speak fluent Russian and French) I found out
about his background when he asked my band to play at his 21st birthday
party, I asked where the gig was, he said at Sizergh Castle, I asked how
much it was costing him to have his party there, he said nothing, it's
mummy's side of the family, they had occupied it for.......wait for.....700
years.

He is on this web site

http://www.sptimes.ru/story/1361