[Dixielandjazz] Kanny G a jazz musician?

Larry Walton Entertainment larrys.bands at charter.net
Sat Nov 26 10:57:25 PST 2005

What or what isn't jazz is pretty subjective.  If it has all the
elements then it is Jazz but not all jazz speaks to us.  Frankly I just
don't care for Be Bop.  It just doesn't talk to me.  At one time Jazz
was fairly pure without a lot of variation but today you can find it in
a lot of places.  I shudder at Jazz rock but it's still jazz by the
definitions that I know.

As an ever changing art form Jazz is hard to pin down.  I prefer the
older styles because I understand them.  Jazz has become diluted to a
certain extent over time just as Rock has.  In the 50's you had Bill
Hailey, Elvis and a few others with a narrowly defined style.  You could
count on simple beats, orchestration, chord patterns and words.  Today
rock is anything but that.  You can still hear vestiges of early rock in
C&W music.

Jazz is an evolving art form.  New forms of it will come along that we
may or may not like.  The chances are that we won't because we are used
to what we know.  I think that's why we are even on this list because we
tend to look to the past for our musical inspiration and enjoyment.
There is nothing wrong with that just that it's in our comfort zone.

So where does Kenny G. fit? I wouldn't call him cutting edge but his
music does conjure up images.  Kind of flowery for my taste.  I like
music to be a little tougher and a little less fairy like but again
that's a matter of taste.  The G. Flutters around too much for me.

Kenny's music in addition to the elements (ie syncopation etc.) that
Steve mentioned is also melodic, and the Jazz is horizontal vs. some of
the newer forms and does not challenge the listener.

Does being melodic or aiming at the public disqualify an artist from the
title of Jazz musician?  I hope not because that's what I do and I fancy
myself as a jazz musician although not as far out or as accomplished as
some.

Kenny will be gratified to know that I think it's jazz.  Just not my flavor.
Larry Walton