[Dixielandjazz] Kanny G a jazz musician?

Steve barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Sat Nov 26 07:07:41 PST 2005

"Jim Kashishian" <jim at kashprod.com> wrote (polite snip)

> Most of what he has put out which sits in the Jazz section at your
> local store is Jazz? No!

I respect that as an opinion and many of us on the DJML when we hear him,
may not hear it as jazz.

I have not listened to all that G has sitting in the record stores so I
can't opine one way or the other on that. However, everything I've ever
heard him do is jazz. It is syncopated, contains improvisation and all the
other elements of Jazz. Why, even Pat Metheny who loathes G hears it as
jazz, suggesting that we then compare him with jazz musicians, and in that
comparison, would find him below par. (but perhaps better than all of us
jazz musicians on the DJML ;-) VBG.)

Whether I like what he does or not has no bearing because he is not doing it
specifically for me.

Cheers,
Steve