[Dixielandjazz] Kanny G a jazz musician?

Steve barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Sat Nov 26 12:00:15 PST 2005

Larry Walton Entertainment at larrys.bands at charter.net wrote: (polite snip)

> What or what isn't jazz is pretty subjective. . . . .

> So where does Kenny G. fit? I wouldn't call him cutting edge. . . I like
> music to be a little tougher and a little less fairy like but again
> that's a matter of taste.

> Kenny's music . . . is horizontal vs. some of
> the newer forms and does not challenge the listener.
>
> Does being melodic or aiming at the public disqualify an artist from the
> title of Jazz musician?  I hope not because that's what I do and I fancy
> myself as a jazz musician although not as far out or as accomplished as
> some.

I hear you Larry. You could be describing Dixieland above, e.g. not cutting
edge, not too tough . . . doesn't challenge the listener. The only
difference is that G has an audience, and we don't. :-) VBG  He will
probably sell more of his new Christmas Album over the next two years then
those of us on the DJML combined. And if just that one album is jazz as Jim,
you and I suggest, then he will be the most popular JAZZ musician of 2006.

He is described as such now in many media outlets, having sold 75 million
records and DVDs since 1982.

BELOW FROM ROLLING STONE MAGAZINE A WHILE BACK:

Kenny G has single-handedly transforming jazz into a genre that actually
sells records in numbers normally associated with modern pop stars (over 30
million sold so far). Unlike such Smooth Jazz pioneers as Grover Washington
Jr. and David Sanborn, however, Kenny G only concentrates on what the mass
public likes and doesn't branch out from what is expected of him. His
melodies are of the most gentle breed, churning out endless hits and
assisting in the conception of many children. A master of the ancient art of
circular breathing, Kenny G also holds the record for holding a single note
longer than any other musician.

To which I add:

That long note G produced is in the Guinness Book of records at 45 minutes.

Cheers,
Steve