[Dixielandjazz] Baritone as Trombone

Ministry of Jazz jazzmin at actcom.net.il
Wed Nov 23 23:16:15 PST 2005

Hello again,

I had an Olds marching bone that had a few dings, but had a nice satin
finish that didn't show age very much. But the valves and slides were free
and fast and it was a dream to play. I sold it (I buy and sell instruments
as part of my living, and some get used while in my stable), and then missed
it. So recently I acquired 3 more Olds marching bones that were used in a
school band somewhere in the US. Found them on eBay darn cheap. This crop
were a little worn and wounded, but some inexpensive repairs and cleaning
have rendered them serviceable, and I'm eagerly awaiting the arrival of the
last two to Jerusalem. I've found the Olds horns to be consistently easy to
play, nice rich tone and light valve action. (My 1965 Olds Opera bass
trombone still looks and plays like new after 40 years of hard use, never
having been serviced or refinished.) Too bad the company went out of
business. My recently acquired (used) King marching baritone also loosened
up as soon as I put a few drops of oil into the valves, and the third valve
tuning slide slides out and falls off under its own weight if you don't keep
the little finger ring/lock tightened. Talk about freely moving slides! My
only complaint is I find it a little too much weight to be holding so far
out in front of my face. It's larger than the marching bone by maybe 50%,
though in the same key.

Speaking of keys and valve horns, yes, these horns read the same music as
the trombone IF you use the concert pitch fingerings. For us poor souls who
learned trumpet fingerings and try not to get confused when playing the
other horns, they need to be played in Bb and you can read trumpet or treble
clef baritone or valve bone music, which is usually written in Bb.

Elazar
Dr. Jazz Dixieland Band
Tekiya Trumpet Ensemble
Jerusalem, Israel