[Dixielandjazz] Baritone as Trombone

Dick Miller Dick_Miller at pmug.org
Wed Nov 23 18:50:47 PST 2005

I'm a trad jazz trombone player (more than 50 years) whose slide bone sits
in the closet while I enjoy playing my Bach Marching Trombone. Not a valve
trombone (which looks like a trombone), not a bass trumpet (which looks
like a trumpet), not a euphonium or baritone horn (which look like a tuba
washed in hot water), it looks kinda like a cornet with a gland problem
(extra wrap of tubing). Same range as a trombone, same mouthpiece, reads
the same music (read? what's that?), sounds sorta like a bone, just a
touch mellower, but not as mellow as a euphonium. I have great fun playing
it, and it's a bit less brass to haul around. Getzen, Yamaha, and others
make them, too, but I find some of those horns a bit stuffy. This one
blows free and clear. Works just fine in a Dixieland group, except, of
course, for the glisses. That can be gotten around reasonably well with
some fancy valve and lip work.

--Dick Miller