[Dixielandjazz] Baritone as Trombone

David Richoux tubaman at tubatoast.com
Thu Nov 24 08:52:32 PST 2005

Hi all,

I think just a bit of clarification on this - Trombones, Baritones &
Euphoniums are usually pitched in Bb but Bass Clef trombone/Euphonium
music is not transposed. (For USA usage, the name Baritone and
Euphonium is often incorrectly interchanged -  there are
differences.) There are Eb "Alto" bones, "Soprano" bone the same
pitch as a Bb trumpet and even sopranino and piccolo trombones!
Tubas are made in BBb, CC, Eb or F pitch but the music is not
transposed.
There are some exceptions to this rule: for British Brass Band music
and other special cases the music is  transposed and written in
Treble Clef. Just to confuse things more, sometimes T-bone music is
written in Tenor Clef but I have never seen an OKOM jazz chart done
that way. I have seen many OKOM Bass charts written one octave higher
than sounded - I guess this is a String Bass thing, but it also
keeps  the notes closer in the staff.

One thing to watch out for if you pick up a "marching brass" middle
instrument - there are Mellophones pitched in Eb, F (or sometimes
both) that look much like marching Valve Trombones, marching
Euphoniums or marching Baritones. I have a few antique mellophones
that can be set to 5 or 6 different pitches with extra pipes or
rotary position valves.  Lots of fun.

There are also  3 valved Drum & Bugle Corps middle horns pitched in G.

I am skipping a lot of other important details and historical
trivia...  like the "modern" notation method of putting everything in
C with accidentals - I hate that!

Dave Richoux

Some pretty good articles here  http://
encyclopedia.thefreedictionary.com/trombone
http://encyclopedia.thefreedictionary.com/brass+instrument