[Dixielandjazz] Music and money

Larry Walton Entertainment larrys.bands at charter.net
Wed Nov 23 12:40:43 PST 2005

"Out of the mouths of babes"  There's a whole lot of truth here but we
don't have to accept it.  I sell entertainment as well as music.  I'm
always looking for things that will do the job better.

Bob Said: IMHO part of the
reason for that is that many people don't know or
care how much work goes into making music even
rudimentarily well. They perceive musicians as
people who do nothing but have fun, as people who
never work.

It's true - a good musician makes it look easy but so does a pro ball player.  Part of the problem is the phrase "playing and instrument" or "playing in a band"  That is just part of the language and we can't get away from it.  Over the years when I tell someone the price and they are surprised and say something like "but I thought you guys enjoyed playing".  Well DUH! I like eating too.  Personally I usually say I work with a band or I work as a professional musician.
Larry Walton
St. Louis