[Dixielandjazz] Music and money

Jim Kashishian jim at kashprod.com
Wed Nov 23 10:11:15 PST 2005

TV and satellite radio and computers and MP3s are replacing actual live
cultural activity. It's a far cry from when local people who knew everybody
in their town or 'hood played weekend dances that were a high point of
social life.
Bob Loomis

Bob, it's a matter of economics, and it's been happening over a long period
of time.  Naturally, the working musician needs to charge enough to live on,
but the clubs can only hike their prices so high.  A person's wages has gone
up a great deal over the yrs, but people will only shell out so much for a
drink or a meal.

Also, local authorities placed entertainment taxes, required sound proofing,
etc., etc.

So, little by little the musician is replaced by recorded music, or smaller
& smaller groups. I remember, while still in the U.S. back in the 1950's,
that many bars that before had live music were down to an organist or a
pianist.

Then, electronics came along & allowed one musician to be accompanied by a
live orchestra if he/she bought the right equipment.

Too many times music in a bar or restaurant is only background music, so it
matters little as to what is actually doing the playing.

It's a worldwide thing, naturally, some countries diving first, with the
U.S. probably in the lead (way back in the late '50's).

There's another part of this equation that musician's don't like to discuss:
the actual musician in many cases has been at fault for this situation in
many cases.  I can only reflect on what I saw happen here in Madrid, Spain
where I live, but in the late 1960's there were gobs of "afternoon clubs"
(afternoon being up to 10pm!) that catered to the young people who had to be
home by 10pm in those days (strict Daddy!).  These places all had house
bands, and the musicians would send subs in left & right, not show up at
all, booze, be slobs, be bored, not respect playing times, etc., etc.  I saw
a lot of that, and of course, when the bosses found they could put on a
record that sounded better than the band, well......

It's just the modern world we live in.  The only work-around to this problem
is just that...to work....where ever & whenever you can, keeping your price
in line with your level of musicianship.  There are some who lament the loss
of the neighborhood shops to the malls.  It's just part of our life, now,
however, some special, quality small shops open up and do well, offering
product at a price in line with the quality.

Jim