[Dixielandjazz] Yarra Yarra Band

pat ladd pj.ladd at btinternet.com
Mon Nov 21 06:09:59 PST 2005

Hi Bill,
spent the weekend at a small town on the north coast of Devon. Looking
around the local market I found  a stall selling books etc., I bought a book
on The Big Bands and the guy in charge told me that he had a few jazz CD`s.
To my surprise the first one in the stack proved to be a 2CD issue of the
Don Ewell OZ tour of 1975 with the Yarra Yarra Band at the Nicholas Hall and
the second was Frank Johnsons Fabulous Dixielanders `Jazz from Down under
1952-1956.`
I have played them through and there is some good stuff, unfortunately let
down by pretty indifferent recording, but then it was 1950.
Graeme Bell, and Bob Barnard are with Frisco Joe`s Jazz Band apparently a
separate band with Frank Johnson.
I thought the drummer spoiled some numbers by being too`busy`, particularly
playing as a trio with Ewell and clarinet on Rose Room.
Rose Room is a number which cries out for some tasteful brushwork and there
is this guy laying about him with sticks particularly on the blocks when
Ewell is trying to do take his solo.Poor.

Interesting couple of pickups to be found in the heart of the English
countryside though. I wonder how they got there. Some collector had picked
them up I suppose and now they were being got rid of, perhaps by his family.
Who knows?.

Cheers to you both

Pat