[Dixielandjazz] Re: Yarra Yarra Band

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Sat Nov 26 20:55:11 PST 2005

Dear Pat,
My apologies for the delay in replying.
Your email is not quite a week old, yet it seems like a month since I
received it, what with the rash of DJML posts of late.
Unfortunately, we missed the 1976 Don Ewell Australian tour, being in
Europe, the UK and the US at the time.
As you would expect, I have the Yarra Yarra Jazz Band CD and all the
musicians involved are/were mates. Unfortunately, although young, Roger
Janes (tbn) and Peter Clohesy (dms) are both dead.
Peter, who would have been a kid at the time of the Don Ewell session was a
New Orleans devotee and it showed in his style and youthful (Baby
Dodds'-inspired) enthusiasm. Particularly with a star like Don Ewell, who
had played and recorded with Bunk.
The Frank Johnson 'Jazz From Down Under. 1951-1956' CD is a compilation of
two Swaggie LPs (S1325 & S1319).
I met my child-bride Jess listening to the Johnsons (as they were
affectionately called) at the time the 1951-52 sides on this CD were made.
More great mates of mine. The mortality rate is even higher for this working
band, with only 3 of the 10 musicians on the CD tracks still with us.
All I can say about Frank Johnson's Fabulous Dixielanders is that they WERE
fabulous and, in our opinion at the time, never recorded as well as they
sounded 'in the flesh'. Which is not to put the records down in any way.
Frisco Joe was a pseudonym sometimes used in the 50s by pianist Graeme Bell
and the 'Goodtime Jazz' recording-only band sides on this CD contain some of
the most exciting jazz to come out of Australia in the 1950s.
The group comprised the leaders of 4 important Australian jazz bands at that
time: Graeme Bell, Frank Johnson, Frank Traynor and Geoff Kitchen. Plus
boy-wonder and rising trumpet star, Bob Barnard. I still play (loudly) the
four Frisco Joe tracks on this CD and marvel at the wondrous and exuberant
sound.
There. About as much public critical commentary as you will get from me.
So far as your own comments are concerned, it is always interesting to have
an outside view of Australian jazz. I have lived with and been an integral
part of it for 60 years. Which naturally influences my appreciation of it.
It would certainly be interesting to find out how the two CDs finished up in
North Devon, but it does not really surprise me.
A lot of British jazz enthusiasts like Oz jazz. I wonder if they belonged to
someone I know (or knew)?
On the other hand, both are GHB CDs issued by the indefatigable George Buck
and are/were readily available worldwide.
George, as you may know, has a soft spot for Oz jazz.
Very kind regards,
Bill.