[Dixielandjazz] Harry Gold

Stan Brager sbrager at socal.rr.com
Thu Nov 17 19:50:02 PST 2005

This appeared in today's The Independent.
Steve Voce

Harry Gold
Master of the jazz bass saxophone and leader for four decades of the Pieces
of Eight
Published: 18 November 2005

When he was 70, Harry Gold applied to join the Marylebone Cricket Club and
was told there was a 20-year waiting list. "That's all right," he said. "I
don't mind waiting." He was right to accept the delay, for he lived to be
98.

His eminence on the British jazz scene owed more to those powers of survival
than to any efforts at self-promotion. He was a modest man and it was the
memorable name of his band, Harry Gold and His Pieces of Eight, that stuck
in the listeners' minds more than the music.

The band played a melodic brand of Dixieland, using familiar jazz standards,
and featured accomplished soloists like the trombonist Geoff Love, Freddie
and Ernie Tomasso on trumpet and clarinet respectively, and Harry's brother
Laurie, who played the tenor saxophone. The band worked between 1945 and
1988, with its classic period in the Forties and Fifties.

Gold was unique in his mastery of the bass saxophone, an instrument
stringently lacking in eloquence but which made up for it in the explosive
punch of its sound. This could blot out that of all surrounding instruments.

The bass saxophone is a huge instrument, probably designed by a madman.
Playing it is difficult. Carting it around is nigh impossible and, once
behind it and affixed to its mouthpiece, the player is out of view until the
end of hostilities. Given that Gold's physique resembled that of a garden
gnome, one begins to realise how well he did to manage to play the thing,
never mind to become one of the best known of British jazz musicians. A
devotee of the Charles Atlas school of fitness, he played it hung around his
neck without using the provided stand. In fact, he remained one of two or
three of the world's leading performers on the instrument for several
decades.

Understandably, since it is amongst the least glamorous of instruments, bass
saxophones are rare upon the ground. Gold's fell off a lorry in 1937. Well,
no, that's not quite accurate. It fell off the roof of the motor car of
Adrian Rollini, then the greatest (and almost the only) exponent of the
instrument, and Gold's idol. Although it was a write-off, Gold bought the
remains and taught himself to play the wreckage. Eventually he spent a lot
of money on having it repaired and was able to say, "Playing the bass
saxophone is the delight of my life."

Gold was inspired as a child in 1920 when his father took him to hear one of
the first visiting American groups, the Original Dixieland Jazz Band, at the
Hammersmith Palais. "It was the most electrifying experience," he recalled.
"I was rigid with the excitement of the whole thing." Gold was to play the
clarinet in a recreation of the American band at the Hammersmith Palais in
1950. He said,

Hearing the ODJB made me decide to have saxophone lessons. I was working in
my father's tailoring workshop at the time and was saving my earnings to buy
a saxophone. I attended the London College of Music and my professor
insisted that I learn two instruments.

Born in Dublin where his father worked as a tailor, Gold returned to London
with the family when he was three. He was proud of his Irish birth and, when
primed with his favourite Irish whiskey, he spoke with the accent of the
land of his birth.

"I started playing professionally on the alto saxophone," he said. "There
was an advertisement in the local paper for a saxophone player willing to
rehearse, signed 'J. Loss'." The advert had been placed by Joe Loss, later
to come to fame leading a big band. This was 1923 and Gold was in Loss's
first quartet, the Magic Dance Band. On their first job, they were each paid
half a crown and a salt-beef supper.

Gold soon left to play with a variety of bands, staying for three years with
the Metronomes (1926-28). Whenever he could, he played at jazz clubs in
London such as the Bag of Nails and the 43 Club. He led a co-operative band
with the guitarist Ivor Mairants in 1932 and that year joined a vocal trio,
the Cubs, with whom he worked regularly until 1937. He had also joined Roy
Fox in 1932 and stayed with him until 1937. Leaving Mantovani early in 1939,
he worked for Oscar Rabin, forming a small band within the band called the
Pieces of Eight. He fell out with Geraldo, having played in his band for
eight months in 1943. Then Gold worked as musical director for Radio
Luxembourg:

I used to write 20 arrangements a month and conduct the band. We did four
programmes each session and transmissions went out every week. It was very
good money and very interesting, an entirely new direction. That lasted
about a year and folded.

In the meantime, I was doing broadcasts overseas to the West Indies with my
band. It was a Dixieland band, but because it was the West Indies the
producer gave it the name "The Dockamaniacs".

The band got its first real break as the Pieces of Eight playing small-band
swing in a Jazz Jamboree at the time of the start of the Dixieland revival
around 1947. We played three numbers and it was going down so well that as
the curtains opened for the next band they were still shouting for more from
us. That was what really got the band off and from then on the write-ups
were enormous and agents started to make enquiries.

Gold toured Britain with the band playing dance halls and clubs until 1956,
when he handed it over to his brother Laurie, but he returned to it often,
working again at the Hammersmith Palais for a year in 1956. During the
Seventies he worked in Al Wynette's band at the Café de Paris in London, but
soon reformed the Pieces of Eight, working through the Eighties and
Nineties. During this time he made several trips to play in the United
States.

He retired from playing in 1999 and published his autobiography, Gold,
Doubloons and Pieces of Eight, in 2000.

Steve Voce

Harry Gold, bandleader and saxophonist: born Dublin 26 February 1907; twice
married (four sons); died London 13 November 2005.