[Dixielandjazz] Dubious Definitions

Graham Martin grahmartin at bigpond.com
Thu Nov 17 18:43:31 PST 2005

Paul (hatless and frivolous) Edgerton wrote:

["Fred Spencer wrote that "dixieland" as "... a generic term (because of the Original Dixieland Jazz Band) is generally applied to white groups playing in a frivolous style and wearing bowler hats."

Now I understand why fame and fortune have evaded me for thirty-odd years: I've been wearing the wrong headgear!"]

Come on Paul, bowler hats are only going to gain you fame and fortune in Pommyland. a.k.a Acker! As I understand it, in America it has to be boaters and arm bands. The arm bands are particularly important!

But on a more serious note, and I guess addressed to the original Fred Spencer dubious definition and not to Paul, I don't agree that the Dixieland name resulted entirely from so-called 'white' jazz. It is unfortunate that some people feel that competing claims are necessary to establish which racial background was responsible for what particular jazz developments and that a style would become associated with a particular grouping. On the other hand, I would concede that an understanding of the sometimes differing musical cultures may be necessary for a full understanding of how jazz developed.
As I see it, the style of  ‘Dixieland’ jazz is often associated with white bands but it is most important to realize that musicians from different racial backgrounds play Dixieland - often together! It is pertinent to point out that Kid Ory’s gravestone is engraved “The father of Dixieland”, that King Oliver called one of his bands the Dixie Syncopators, that Edmond Hall and Vic Dickenson played regularly with Eddie Condon’s bands and that Jack Teagarden played with the Louis Armstrong and the Allstars. I guess readers of this newsletter would be able to think of many more examples. So it cannot be that Dixieland is a white man’s music, although some black musicians may have reservations about being called Dixielanders!

Myself, I have very big reservations about OKOM being called 'Traditional Jazz', or even worse 'Trad'.

These days I go along with the French and much prefer the term 'Hot' Jazz!

But "What's in a name? That which we call a rose

By any other name would smell" (or sound) "as sweet."

Best,

Grah

Graham Martin
Email: grahmartin at bigpond.com