[Dixielandjazz] Sony CD hidden software redux redux

David Richoux tubaman at tubatoast.com
Wed Nov 16 08:50:11 PST 2005

So now their "fix" for the problem makes it even worse!

Dave R
=================================
Sony's fix worsens security hole
SAFE, NEW REMOVAL PROGRAM PROMISED
By Brian Bergstein
Associated Press
BOSTON - The fallout from a hidden copy-protection program that Sony
BMG Music Entertainment put on some CDs is only getting worse. Sony's
suggested method for removing the program widened the security hole
the original software created, researchers say.

Sony has moved to recall the discs in question. But music fans who
have listened to them on their computers or tried to remove the
dangerous software they deposited could still be vulnerable.

``This is a surprisingly bad design from a security standpoint,''
said Ed Felten, a Princeton University computer science professor who
explored the ``XCP'' copy-protection program with a graduate student,
J. Alex Halderman.

When the discs were put into a PC, the CD automatically installed
anti-piracy software -- which works only on Windows PCs -- with a
cloaking feature that allowed it to hide files on users' computers.
Security researchers classified the program as ``spyware,'' saying it
secretly transmits details about what music the PC is playing. Manual
attempts to remove the software can disable the PC's CD drive.

The program also gave virus writers an easy tool for hiding their
malicious software, taking advantage of the cloaking feature to enter
computers undetected, anti-virus companies said.

Sony BMG and the British company that developed the anti-piracy
software, First 4 Internet, released a program that uninstalls XCP.

To get the uninstall program, users were asked to request it by
filling out online forms. Once submitted, the forms download and
install a program designed to ready the PC for the fix, making the PC
open to downloading and installing code from the Internet.

According to security experts, the program fails to make the computer
confirm that such code should come only from Sony or First 4 Internet.

``It allows any Web page you visit to download, install, and run any
code it likes on your computer,'' Felten and Halderman wrote.

Sony BMG said Tuesday evening that it was preparing to release a safe
new method for removing XCP. It was unclear when it might be available.