[Dixielandjazz] Sony CD hidden software redux

Robert Pulliam starwaterlogo at mpinet.net
Tue Nov 15 22:05:41 PST 2005

From: <tcashwigg at aol.com>
To: <dixielandjazz at ml.islandnet.com>
Sent: Saturday, November 12, 2005 11:25 PM

> Sony defended its right to prevent customers from illegally copying
> music but said it will halt manufacturing CDs with the "XCP" technology
> as a precautionary measure.

Putting aside the hypocrisy of the major labels who themselves apparently
engage in some shady practices as far as creative accounting and payment of
royalties, this business with Sony seems like an expensive, invasive
exercise and ultimately a pointless waste of time. I suppose there are
hi-tech ways to beat their system, but the fact is, you don't have to be hip
to any deep, dark computer secrets. Any CD that can be listened to can be
copied. You can record internally using "what you hear" mode, or simply
record from one computer's output to another's input. Or to any tape deck
for that matter. The results may not be "perfect" if you examine the files
with an audiophile magnifying glass, but I suspect those who engage in
large-scale piracy aren't overly concerned with this issue.

I'm not at all a proponent of piracy but I really hope some high-level
people at Sony get their asses paddled over this.