[Dixielandjazz] Thoughts on LP Needles>>WD40

Robert Pulliam starwaterlogo at mpinet.net
Wed Nov 16 04:27:54 PST 2005

From: <tcashwigg at aol.com>
To: <starwaterlogo at mpinet.net>; <dixielandjazz at ml.islandnet.com>
Sent: Wednesday, November 16, 2005 2:15 AM

> I find that a simple light pass above the surface with a good vacum
> does the trick pretty well being careful not to touch or scratch the
> surface of the record, this can also be accomplished by putting a fine
> piece of cheesecloth over the end of the vacum hose and wrapping a
> rubber band around the hose to hold it on tightly.

Don't mean to be a PIA, but I can say with great confidence that this is
only going to remove surface dust and do virtually nothing to remove the
crud that's embedded in the grooves, it certainly isn't going to get rid of
the mold release agent.

Further, air rushing by on a dry surface like that is going to generate
static electricity which will attract more airborne dirt.

If I get really motivated, maybe I'll figure a way to take some pics of
record grooves showing comparative pics doing it the way you're describing
and doing it with a vacuum irrigation rig.

This of course, is a big if...