[Dixielandjazz] Speaking of copying . . .Fake books?

Larry Walton Entertainment larrys.bands at charter.net
Tue Nov 15 11:09:05 PST 2005

I picked door three.

Most so called fake books are published by the big houses.  There are
very few sources for the "trade" fake books.  When I say "trade" I mean
sold owned and distributed by professionals to professionals and not the
general public often "under the counter".  Many of you remember the old
book number 1 that had about a thousand tunes, 2-3 to a page,  that you
could go out and play gigs with.  It was in C and some years later came
out in a dual Eb Bb version.  If you didn't have this book you didn't
work because all the bands here used them.  I had to know the tunes
because the books only existed in C.  I didn't own any because I was a
horn player or had to look over the piano guys shoulder.  In the late
60's I got one and transposed everything.  Later I got the Eb, Bb
companion.  I think eventually there were three more put out.

At that time the fake books were only available to pros. I eventually
picked up a couple of the newer versions from friends in the business.
In later years the publishing companies got smart and started printing
collections which are all very legal.

There are very few "trade" fake books out there today.  I own one
Dixieland fake book that was purchased complete with all the cloak and
dagger from a local music store that specializes in off the wall music
and used recordings.  The guy actually took me to a back room, wanted to
know who told me he had them and wanted cash. (Knock three times and
whisper low that you and I were sent by Joe) It was like buying drugs or
trading national secrets.  What a hoot.

Imagine my joy when OKOM fake books, at a reasonable price, became
available here.

All most all are legit today and truthfully the ones that aren't are so
non mainstream (like Dixieland and Trad Jazz) the big guys don't seem to
care.

Larry Walton.
St. Louis