[Dixielandjazz] Speaking of copying . . .

Bill Gunter jazzboard at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 14 10:06:44 PST 2005

Hi all,

Seems to be much interest in the topic of piracy and copying, etc.

Have we addressed the related issue of Fake Books?

I have at least two (and probably several more) which, I know, have
copyrighted material in them and yet I know that a huge percentage the songs
have, in effect, been pirated.

The books contain no information as to their publication ... no author,
publishing house, date, address ... nothing! They were sold "under the
counter" by some unnamed music store to the source that passed them along to
me. I can certainly understand the "built in ambiguity" regarding the source
of this material . . . who wants to be pursued by the legitimate music
industry!

Do any of you ever make use of a fake book? Have you ever questioned your
use of such material in the same vein that we have questioned the use of
pirated CDs?

Is there any significant difference between ripping off a CD and ripping off
the intellectual creation of a songwriter?

What am I to do?

1. Find some legitimate agency and ask them how much I owe them?
2. Refuse to use the fake book?
3. Just say "aw, screw it!" and go ahead and check out the melody, chord
lines and lyrics anyway ?

Respectfully submitted,

Bill "I wanna do what's right" Gunter
jazzboard at hotmail.com