[Dixielandjazz] Copying CD's, copyright, promotion, the works

Vaxtrpts at aol.com Vaxtrpts at aol.com
Mon Nov 14 10:31:38 PST 2005

In a message dated 11/14/2005 10:23:12 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,
jbutler6 at twcny.rr.com writes:

Mike,
How do you feel about people buying used CD's instead of  buying a new copy
from a retailer or a websiye like yours?
Jim  Butler

Boy, now there's one I hadn't thought about.  Of course I would RATHER  they
buy a new one, so that there is more money coming into the  coffers.........
(And with our website, there is the other part --- that some of the money
goes to scholarships for young people.)
But, I guess if I HAD to answer that question, I would say that it  certainly
isn't illegal to buy used product, so that would be better than  accepting a
copy from a friend.  Especially if that friend was making  multiple copies for
others as well.
This whole topic is rather far reaching, isn't it?
Mike Vax
PS - another thought comes to mind.  Sometimes a person will give  their copy
to another person as a gift.  Again, I would rather have another  sale, but
this also wouldn't be "illegal" or immoral.