[Dixielandjazz] copying CD's

tcashwigg at aol.com tcashwigg at aol.com
Mon Nov 14 15:52:13 PST 2005

I have to agree with this as well Bill,  and this is actually covered
in the copyright laws revisions #  50 million three hundred thousand
forty seven or so.   No one is going to prosecute any individual for
making a copy of anything for "Their own personal Use".   The folks
they are really trying to stop are the Big For Profiteering operators.

I many years ago sat a a major Record Industry convention in Florida
and watched the Major Record Industry give the" Recording Industry Man
of the Year Award" to a guy from Atlanta as I recall who had just two
weeks previously been arrested by the FBI for pirating and illegally
counterfeiting phonograph records of ALL the major Labels biggest and
best selling acts and distributing them to all the retailers serviced
by the same labels.   He certainly was not the only one guilty of such
practices.  I also watched another Record label receive more product
shipped back to them for credit than they had ever even manufactured,
:))

You can imagine that guys very unhappy predicament especially when he
did not get the expected check in the mail from his "Distributor"
Seems the records were being manufactured out the back door by the
"Distributors" friend inside the manufacturing plant and then sold to
the retailers with the retention of all the profits to the
"Distributor".

The major Record Industry is and always has been full of sharks and
sophisticated Thieves of the highest caliber, as well as the associated
protection organizations all around them in royalty collection,
publishing, and anything else.

Sadly,

Tom Wiggins

   Dear listmates,

  If you buy a CD (pay good money for it at the record store) then, to
some degree, you own the damn thing and you should be entitled to do
whatever you want with it for your own personal amusement. That should
include burning copies for the disc player in the car and for your
portable CD player as well as the big stereo unit in the living room
entertainment center!

  On the other hand, I don't believe it entitles you to make a dozen
copies or more and give or sell them to anyone else.

 Of course I could be wrong . . .

 Respectfully submitted,

 Bill "I wanna do what's right" Gunter
 jazzboard at hotmail.com