[Dixielandjazz] Clarinet tuning

Steve barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Sun Nov 13 19:53:06 PST 2005

Barrie Walter Marshall at walter.marshall at tiscali.co.uk wrote:

> MANY variables to worry about besides the notes on the horn not being in
> tune with themselves
>
> I remember years ago reading a small book aimed at clarinet players, he said
> that you should get to the gig and open the case in the room you are going
> to play in at least half an hour before you play, do not assemble the
> instrument. I know that with my Selmer CenteredTone I have to play a few
> numbers before it settles down.

That makes sense as it probably breathes better in shorter pieces.

> He also said that during a session you should not eat or drink anything as
> it will not be good for the instrument, tonight I had two pints of Guinness
> and some sandwiches supplied by the organisers, I don't think he was talking
> about jazz musicians.

I'm hip. Not doing much drinking anymore these days, but I am eating up a
storm on several gigs. At one, I eat something on every break (4) then rinse
out the mouth with water. I also swab the horn after each set. :-) VBG.

> It was a good gig, great acoustic, a clarinet players room. anybody out
> there played The Whitewater at Lake Side UK.

Love those clarinet rooms.

Cheers,
Steve