[Dixielandjazz] Clarinet tuning

Barrie Walter Marshall walter.marshall at tiscali.co.uk
Sun Nov 13 17:24:35 PST 2005

MANY variables to worry about besides the notes on the horn not being in
 tune with themselves

I remember years ago reading a small book aimed at clarinet players, he said
that you should get to the gig and open the case in the room you are going
to play in at least half an hour before you play, do not assemble the
instrument. I know that with my Selmer CenteredTone I have to play a few
numbers before it settles down.

He also said that during a session you should not eat or drink anything as
it will not be good for the instrument, tonight I had two pints of Guinness
and some sandwiches supplied by the organisers, I don't think he was talking
about jazz musicians.

It was a good gig, great acoustic, a clarinet players room. anybody out
there played The Whitewater at Lake Side UK.

Barrie Marshall.