[Dixielandjazz] Copying CD's

Steve barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Sun Nov 13 19:46:22 PST 2005

Gee Whiz, why get your knickers in a knot over this "issue"?

Folks have been copying records ever since tape machines came out. Probably
half the people in the world were born after that event and so for them, it
is a given that one could make a cassette of records, live performances,
radio broadcasts, just about anything creating noise. It has been happening
for DECADES. Get used to it.

In that vein, I sell my CDs in record shops and could care less whether or
not someone duplicates them. I'm never going to get rich selling CDs and
neither is anyone on the DJML.

Also of interest is that Tower Records has several half page ads in today's
NY Times hawking Christmas music CDs.  ($9000 ads give or take)

Couple of names you might recognize, each with a half page ad were:

Brian Wilson, (touted as "The All Time Music Master")

GUESS WHO? (touted as The #1 Instrumental Star of All Time)

Prices? $13.99 per CD.

Both these guys are multi millionaires, much of it from, gasp, choke, CD
production/sales. I'll pay for the "Guess Who" CD for the first person who
supplies the correct name . . . provided that he/she swears to listen to it
daily between now and December 25. :-) VBG

Regarding our own CDs, 2000 CDs (1000 each CD) cost a total of $4193. Sales
of 2000 CDs at $15 a pop generate $30,000. Sidemen get $1 per CD sold,
except for those sold in record stores. or $10,000. Figures are rough and
you have to allow for 400 sold in record stores, 300 sold by individual band
members etc., generating lesser margins, but you can figure out that we
aren't getting rich on CD sales. We make much more annually in performance
fees then we did in 2 years of CD sales.

Cheers,
Steve