[Dixielandjazz] Young people and copying CD's

Craig I. Johnson civanj at adelphia.net
Sun Nov 13 20:31:54 PST 2005

Good point Mike, but there is also more to this subject....

There is another cost to all of us as listeners. The cost to us of
copy protection used by the video and music producers.....
It can be very invasive.

Wait til you see what all this MAT cost us as it pertains to
playing DVDs via computer..

Sony has already started to add clandestine code to the video dvds that installs itself
on you computer without warning ,,, as copy protection. Then that code is
available to hackers to invade your computer (some have already done so.)

(As a result of that latter problems, Sony has said it will no longer add this code
to its DVDs, but it shows the direction they are going in see the following.)

The next round of wide computer displays will include code that interacts with the
dvd software to prevent copying. This code (1) will NOT work with current displays
so you have to buy a new expensive display to see them. (2) That same code will
not work in current Windows so you will have to up grade to the next operating system
due next year.

For more info on this subject, see the Nov. 2005 issue of "PC World"

Yeah the above is for video dvds,
 but it indicates a direction similar to the approach that
had been proposed by the RIAA concerning tape player/recorders to copy protect music.
When you get to computers though, the techniques and results are more ominous.
What is to prevent the record companies from using the same
approach for music and requiring (for music dvds) the use of a new more expensive,
sound card that complements the dvd software and will only run in the next operating system?
(The new operating system is required to keep folks from cheating and writing programs
that trap the video (or sound) at various places in the operating system path and thus bypasses the
software protection - this path is open in the current Windows systems and thus
needs to be closed to make these copy protection schemes work.)
(For instance right now, I could, if I wished, in all systems including XP,
record Real Audio or mp3 streams that purport to be protected against such recording.)

(Remember a new operating system usually requires the latest functions, memory size
and processor speed, thus implying a potential further hardware purchase.)

This concerns me because my computer is my main music system these days,
followed by my iPod.

Regards,
Craig Johnson.
-- Retired software developer and active Right Coast cornetist.