[Dixielandjazz] Young people and copying CD's

Vaxtrpts at aol.com Vaxtrpts at aol.com
Sun Nov 13 16:03:19 PST 2005

In a message dated 11/13/2005 3:08:16 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,
heu at bart.nl writes:

What to  do about copying OKOM cd's?
Nothing! Copying means there is interest!
We  sell our CD's mostly on gigs,often autographed, as a
kind of souvenir of a  good concert.  The sales at record shops are
marginal in revenues,  because the record companies take the major
piece of the  cake.

Well, I guess I am really playing "devil's advocate" on the list  today.
Sorry, Cees, but I DO NOT want anybody copying my CD's. (Exception - a copy
to play in the car for the person who BOUGHT the CD in the first place.)
Copying CD's to give to friends is, in my estimation, the same as playing a
gig for free to "get more exposure."  It just leads to more pirated
recordings and NO more sales.
I don't know about you, but I NEVER sell my CD's in any record shops.   I
don't know any others that do either.  On the Internet - yes - if the  Internet
site is reputable and honest.
We have dozens of bands selling on our website for my nonprofit Friends of
Big Band Jazz.
Not only do they make some money off the sales, but a portion of all sales
goes into our scholarship fund to help send young musicians to summer jazz
camps.  If you want to take a look, it is _www.bigbandjazz.net_
(http://www.bigbandjazz.net)  .
I know it isn't exactly OKOM, but it is pretty close and it does show that
there are good ways to get exposure for our CD's and NOT have to allow pirating
 of our product.
Mike Vax