[Dixielandjazz] Young people and copying CD's

Cees van den Heuvel heu at bart.nl
Sun Nov 13 14:18:56 PST 2005

What to do about copying OKOM cd's?
Nothing! Copying means there is interest!
We sell our CD's mostly on gigs,often autographed, as a
kind of souvenir of a good concert.  The sales at record shops are
marginal in revenues, because the record companies take the major
piece of the cake.
E.g. the sale of 1000 copy's at gigs  can generate a profit of
about 5000 euro's, while with the sales of a hit record
(in Holland that's about 50.000) I earned about 500
euro's. Go figure...
The only way to diminish bootleg copy's is, i.m.o, to
cut the prices of the CD's to a decent level and,
that's important, give the official CD something extra:
booklet with extra photo's and information. Especially
"older" buyers like that; they want to read while listnening.

My two eurocents,

Cees van den Heuvel
http://www.revivaljassband.nl