[Dixielandjazz] Young people and copying CD's

Larry Walton Entertainment larrys.bands at charter.net
Sun Nov 13 14:44:52 PST 2005

The trouble is that musicians really don't get paid very well for the
tracks they lay down unless they own the songs.  The side guys get
little to nothing.  The trend is that all music will be paid for.  You
subscribe to satellite radio, pay for cable and satellite TV, pay for
everything associated with music.  The composer and producers of that
music get nothing to almost nothing for their efforts.

I personally think that there is merit on both sides.  I would feel
better if the musicians and composers got a fairer shake and at the same
time the people that are doing the copying resent the high cost of a
CD.  Let's face it, the production costs on a high run CD are about a
dollar or less and packaging is about another dollar.  That leaves about
$14 profit for someone and the performers and composer are way
downstream on the profits.  It's hard to believe with those kind of
profits the recording and distribution industry is hurting much.

I'm sure that the controversy will rage on but as long as there is music
and things to record it with there will be people doing it.  The secret
is to make them want to pay for it.  The lucky thing is that as people
start getting older they tend to pay for what they get if for no other
reason that it's a lot of hassle to go to all the trouble to get around
the copy protects and to mess with it.
Larry Walton
St. Louis