[Dixielandjazz] Circle of fourths - confussion?

Vaxtrpts at aol.com Vaxtrpts at aol.com
Wed Nov 9 12:34:32 PST 2005

>From Anton:
There are no 4ths when notes are considered. The clock analogy works  by
starting with C at 12 o'clock and then ascending clockwise through G, D,  A,
E and B to F# at 6 o'clock; then descending  anticlockwise
(counterclockwise) from C at 12 o'clock through F, Bb, Eb, Ab  and Db to Gb
at 6 o'clock. F# = Gb.

I have to say that this may be the way many classical musicians look at it,
but most musicians that I work with and teach with do it just the opposite
way.  The circle of 4ths goes clockwise and the circle of fifths goes  counter
clockwise.  And - you don't descend at all, you keep going  up.
I have no idea what you mean by your first sentence.  No 4ths when  notes are
considered???
What, exactly does that mean???
Mike Vax