[Dixielandjazz] Re: George Shearing in Dixieland

Tamas Ittzes bohem at fibermail.hu
Wed Nov 9 12:28:35 PST 2005

Steve and all,

I heard this album in 1997 first, I believe, and just loved it. I had it
taped but can't find it right now. However, I listened to it again not
very long ago (maybe a year ago) and I wasn't crazy about the session
that much. The musicianship there is undoubtedly very high but all tunes
sound too similar - as much as I remember. But it is interesting. Stan,
note that although they play a few more modern tunes in earlier style
but basically the album is about playing trad tunes (like Truckin',
Fascinating Rhythm, Jazz Me Blues, Honeysuckle Rose etc.) with a modern
touch. Interesting album, I think. Again, in 1997 it sounded very new
and exciting to me.

Cheers,

Tamas
Tamas ITTZES
violin teacher, ragtime pianist, festival organizer
Bohem Ragtime Jazz Band
Kecskemet Jazz Foundation
Mailing address: H-6001 KECSKEMET, Pf. 652., Hungary
Phone: +36(20)82-447-82
E-mails: tamas at bohemragtime.com, bohem at fibermail.hu
Web site: http://www.bohemragtime.com