[Dixielandjazz] Circle of Fifths/Fourths

Vaxtrpts at aol.com Vaxtrpts at aol.com
Tue Nov 8 17:37:22 PST 2005

In a message dated 11/8/2005 4:19:56 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,
dixielandjazz-request at ml.islandnet.com writes:

The  circle of fifths: C (up a fifth to) G (up a fifth to) D (up a fifth to)
A,  etc.

The circle of fifths "in reverse" is a circle of fourths which, to  me, is a
much better teaching/learning tool as it so relates to music and  actual tunes.

I agree whole heartedly with Dave's statement.  I have always used the
circle of fourths as my basis for teaching.
Two good things:
For young people to memorize the order of flats and sharps through the use
of the circle, it goes:
C-F-Bb-Eb-Ab-Db-Gb/F#-B-E-A-D-G -- back to C..... So you can tell the kids
to spell the word BEAD twice and boy, does it help them memorize their key
signatures.
Another one was taught to my by the great Art Pepper.
Play any triad or chord through the circle of fourths and the 3rd (in  major)
becomes the leading tone for the next chord.
Example:  Playing dominant 7th chords through the circle of fourths  (going
up and then back down the notes of the chord):
1-3-5-b7-5-3  move to the next chord...............
C - E - G - Bb - G - E  -- then right to F to start the next  chord.  I have
given this exercise to even middle school students and had  them playing
triads and chords through the circle of fourths in no  time......................
Mike Vax