[Dixielandjazz] cycle of 5ths, 4ths and guitar players

charliew8fim at verizon.net charliew8fim at verizon.net
Tue Nov 8 18:50:45 PST 2005

Hi listees:   Interesting thread.  Good exercise to play around the "circle" in both directions, modulating from one key to another for 8 bars or so.  Used to call that 'playing around the horn'  Our (church praise band) guitarist 'tunes' everyone up, and we end up playing the sharp cycle - G, D, A, E since that's were about all the new praise tunes are written.  Makes it interesting for me (tenor sax & clarinet) - If someone should call a tune in A-Flat, I don't think I'd know what buttons to push!  8>(   Charlie (looking for a sax in key of A) Coleman