[Dixielandjazz] More on the Circle of Fifths

Larry Walton Entertainment larrys.bands at charter.net
Wed Nov 9 09:18:48 PST 2005

That's a great explanation but there is a catch and that's frets.  The
frets are set up on the mechanical principals you mentioned but we just
don't hear that way.  Some manufacturers have tweaked the fret location
to sound to us to be better in tune and then they give us the individual
tuning bars on the bridge which effect the upper octave more than the
lower so that as the guitar player goes up the neck that octave can be
tweaked a little more than the lower octave.  Unfortunately guitar
players don't generally know this and in effect think their guitars are
"tuned at the factory".  Then factor in different weights of strings
that effect the instrument.  As strings get older they lose their
resonance due to stretching, crud and rust build up all of which effects
the tuning of the instrument.

The guitar so far as tuning is concerned is almost like a fluid.  Things
are constantly changing.  Now factor in temperature and humidity
changes.  With all that going on it's a wonder that any of them play in
tune at all which brings me full circle to my original statement that
most guitar players play out of tune.

A guitar player needs to really know what he's doing and just plugging
into a tuner just isn't enough.
Larry Walton
St. Louis