[Dixielandjazz] Re: Tuning guitar players

Larry Walton Entertainment larrys.bands at charter.net
Tue Nov 8 13:17:49 PST 2005

I play with two bands (18 pc and 6 pc) that are dead on in tune and you
will never see a tuner come out with one exception the bass player uses
one in one of the groups.  These guys are pros and  are just dead on.

I do agree with Russ that  if I didn't know  the quality of the player
I would prefer to see the tuner come out.

I think what I was saying more or less is that guitar players especially
seem to not learn (or care) how to tune their instruments and rely on
meters only.  I find that to be an unsatisfactory solution.  Not
terrible but not really good either.

I didn't come out of the box being able to tune my horn or play in
tune.  It took a lot of listening and caring what I sounded like as well
as some education in the matter.  In other words it took work and self
training.  Unless you have perfect pitch (and I'm not so sure that's all
that great) then you have to learn how to do it and what you are
listening for.

Larry Walton
St. Louis