[Dixielandjazz] Tuning Guitars and other stringed instruments with electronic meters.

Larry Walton Entertainment larrys.bands at charter.net
Tue Nov 8 12:59:46 PST 2005

Tuning meters are of course a great aid in tuning but just can't tune a
guitar by its self.  I would bet that after the instrument is "tuned"
with a meter the better guitar player then plays several chords and
tweaks the tuning especially the B string which usually needs to be a
bit sharp to sound correct.  It's that tweaking I'm talking about.  The
instrument actually needs to be tweaked for each key but thats a bit
much and really not necessary.  When I was an active guitar player I
tuned the "E" string and then the rest from that.  Then checked
intervals on several chords both in first position and then up the
neck.  I have seen guitar players check harmonics and octaves too.  If
you try to tune a 12 string with a tuner you will end up with a mess.
Piano tuners do not use tuning meters which should tell us something.

I guess it depends on how close you want to come to being in tune.

One of the problems with tuning a guitar or banjo with a tuner is that
the initial attack is at one  place and then decays to another.  I found
that especially true on banjo.  Then there are other problems such as
strings that stretch or guys that tune down to the note.  What happens
there is that there is slop in the tuning gears and tuning down to a
note allows the gears to slip just enough to detune the string after a
few minutes of playing.

The feature that I do find helpful that is on tuners is the ability to
play a tone.

The real problem comes when the sax or trumpet section "believes"
themselves to be in tune because they tuned on one note with a tuner and
as you pointed out they will just "lip" it which by the way is an
incorrect use of the tuner.  The horn player should play a short scale
or few bars of music, hold a tone and then look at the tuner or better
still have a friend hold the meter.

I do use tuning meters to tune a school band because if you want to
check tuning of 85 kids it's the fastest way and frankly after about 10
of them play I lose the pitch in my head and the meter keeps me right on.

Tuners are IMHO for rough tuning only and just can't do the job alone.
Young players are usually totally mystified  by tuning and a lot of them
seem to carry this over into adult and "pro" bands.

Larry Walton
St. Louis