[Dixielandjazz] Tuning, not strings

Barrie Walter Marshall walter.marshall at tiscali.co.uk
Wed Nov 9 03:01:29 PST 2005

Talking about tuning, on the odd occasion when I have been playing with
bands when they tune up the 2 brass players tune to each other and not the
piano or the clarinet, I think the trombone tunes to Bb when the slide is
fully in but should they not tune to the piano or clarinet.

I was playing a parade with a New Orleans Marching band and we had a dept
clarinet player of many years experiance and had an army musician for many
years, whern we tuned up he said, its a misake we will all be out of tune,
tune as you march, is their some wisdom in this randome remark?

Barrie