[Dixielandjazz] Re: Bohem Ragtime Festival

Judy Eames jude at judyeames.co.uk
Sat Nov 5 03:02:44 PST 2005

Tamas hasn't mentioned the Bohem festival for some time, so I'm going to do
it for him:-)

We went last year, mainly to meet up with our friends in the Boondockers.
To be honest, I was a bit put off by the "Ragtime" label as it sounded
rather restricted but this is just another example of how descriptions vary
between countries.  There's a huge variety of jazz and the standard of
playing is very high indeed. European musicians and fans will know that it's
much, much more than ragtime if I just say that Andor's jazz Orchestra and
Matthias Seuffert are on the bill.

As for the Hungarian bands; while some DJML members bang on about getting
young people into jazz, they just get on and do it without fuss  It was a
strange sensation to feel old at a festival where the youngest trumpeter was
a talented and extremely likeable 14yr old!

Tony D and I are going again next year and we know of several UK musicians
and fans who are planning to come too.  Maybe we'll have a proper European
Face to Face.

Jude

Judy Eames
Kaminsky Connection