[Dixielandjazz] Len Barnard

Anton Crouch anton.crouch at optusnet.com.au
Sat Nov 5 03:47:17 PST 2005

Hello all

The news about Len Barnard is very sad indeed. I hardly knew Len but he did
have a very strong influence on my tastes in jazz - almost 50 years ago.

I was a university student in my late teens and Len and his band came to
the university to give a concert. I realise now that Len was only 7 years
older than me but the difference between a teenage student and a
professional musician in his 20s is enormous.

Len played some washboard. I'd never heard a washboard and, even now, can
remember the impression it made. To say that he was also a good drummer
would be the understatement of a lifetime.

I had to find something of his on record and discovered Aussie Parlophone
A7805 - a coupling of "Maryland, My Maryland" and "New Orleans Joys". I was
never more surprised in my life to find that "Maryland, My Maryland" was
the same piece as "March of the Bobcats".

Len's recording (with brother Bob) is superb. I still have the 78 and
treasure it. The Crosby boys are pretty good but the Barnard Brothers are
better. From this one record I explored further afield and discovered the
Southern Jazz Group and Graeme Bell.

Vale, Len

Anton