[Dixielandjazz] Jazz Goes To College

LARRY'S Signs and Large Format Printing sign.guy at charter.net
Sat May 21 15:24:13 PDT 2005

Tom Said:
> The system has been broken for a long long time and I don't see any thing
on
> the horizon that looks like change to fix it either.

One of the big problems in colleges today is the diversification programs
and the dumbing down of grades.  Today a student does not need a HS diploma
to get into college.  A few classes at a Jr. College will get him into a 4
year state school.  Jr. Colleges here will admit a student on a non degree
basis with no high school diploma or GED.  It's true that that student might
be on scholastic probation but he can get in.  While this is very democratic
and Horatio Algerish it puts a lot of students in school who shouldn't be
there.  Now move the scores that you give grades on.  When I was in school
it took 95% for an A but today it's 90% in most schools especially the Jr.
colleges.  An F was anything below 65% and now it's 60%.  This keeps
students in college but it waters down the degrees..  Now couple that with
very liberal exits from classes.  When I was in school you had three days to
drop a class but now a student can drop all the way up to final exam without
penalty. In addition if you do actually fail and pass later the original F
is erased.

When I was teaching the guy that I worked with took 13 years to graduate
college and get a master's.  I always thought that he was dense as a rock.
Goes to show if you got the time and money you can do anything in America
and then teach it.

Larry Walton
St. Louis