[Dixielandjazz] Re: Early Dixieland Tuba Solos; Joe Tarto book

Dan Augustine ds.augustine at mail.utexas.edu
Tue May 17 08:26:39 PDT 2005

Paolo, DJML, and others--
     I've never heard of "bass noodles" by Joe Tarto, but he did write
at least one book on playing and/or soloing on the tuba.
     On the Charles Colin website
(http://charlescolin.com/descript.htm#CC3907) this book is mentioned:

"CC3907 Basic Rhythms and the Art of Jazz Improvisation, by Joe
Tarto. Written for tuba or bass trombone, string bass, bass guitar,
an excellent basic method for beginning jazz playing, especially in
traditional/Dixieland styles. Improvising, syncopation, chords,
walking bass, breaks, blues, and Latin rhythms are among the many
subjects covered."

     However, i tried to order this book back in January, but they
replied that the book is still in production.  Does anyone have any
further information?

     Dan