[Dixielandjazz] Sacramento Jazz Jubilee To Leave Cal Expo In 2006

Robert S. Ringwald robert at ringwald.com
Tue May 17 09:42:55 PDT 2005

For Immediate Release
May 17, 2005
(SACRAMENTO)

For additional information, contact:
Norm Hartman 916-631-1389

JAZZ JUBILEE TO LEAVE CAL EXPO IN 2006

The Sacramento Jazz Jubilee will end its association with Cal Expo following
this year's rendition, Jubilee officials announced today. The 2006 Jubilee
(May 26-29, 2006) will relocate Jubilee operations currently at Cal     expo
to other sites throughout Sacramento, including the Doubletree Hotel on
Arden Way near Cal Expo and the downtown Convention Center, officials said.
The Jubilee association with Cal Expo, dating to 1987, will end when the
2005 Jubilee wraps up on May 30.

Cal Expo has recently been home to five music stages, the Jubilee's RV
center hosting some 600 rigs, the Jubilee Store for recording and souvenir
sales
and parking for patrons and Jubilee volunteers.

"At this time we're exploring options," according to Jubilee Executive
Director Roger Krum. "Obviously, some of our operations will move to the
downtown area, and we are investigating several potential sites." The
Jubilee plans to continue at its other
locations, including Old Sacramento, Crocker Park, the Hyatt Regency and
Sheraton hotels (downtown Sacramento) and the presence in the Point West
area with the Radisson, and Red Lion hotels. Krum attributed the change to
escalating costs associated with the Cal Expo operations
through the years. "We've had an excellent relationship with the management
and staff at Cal Expo, however financial realities require that we hold
costs down in order to provide the best and most affordable music and
entertainment experience for Jubilee fans,"
he said. Krum said the 2005 Jubilee (May 27-30, 2005) will be "business as
usual" at Cal Expo, with five music stages and the usual array of food and
beverage choices. "It may be a bit busier than in the past because we expect
many people to drop by for one last visit,"
he said.
-0-0-0-

For Immediate Release
May 17, 2005

For Additional Information, contact:
Norm Hartman 916-631-1389

Sacramento Jazz Jubilee

 - Cal Expo Facts
The first Sacramento Jazz Jubilee took place in 1974, with 21 bands
performing
in seven venues in Old Sacramento. As the Jubilee grew and gained
popularity, it
outgrew Old Sacramento. In 1987, it expanded operations to Cal Expo, adding
RV parking, the Jubilee Store and other features in subsequent years.
Current seating at Cal Expo: Seats Average Occupancy (%)
Beer Garden 800 68%
Lagoon Terrace 460 76%
Pizza Tent 350 82%
RV Pavilion 1,095 52%
The Cove 1,700 46%
TOTAL 4,405 65%
RV Parking at Cal Expo: 2004
Full Hook-Up 60
Electricity Only 433
Pavilion 119
Dry (no hookup) 40
RV/Jubilee Volunteers 38
TOTAL 690
(RV Reservations for 2005 are running slightly behind the 2004 level, likely
because of gasoline prices. We estimate we will provide space for 600 units
at
Cal Expo in 2005.)
Cost of Operations at Cal Expo:
1990 $34,500
2003 $162,511
2004 $162,471
2005 (estimated) $165,831
Operational cost per seat at Sacramento Jazz Jubilee Venues:
Cal Expo $28
Sacramento Hotels $2-3
Sacramento Convention Center $2-3
Old Sacramento outdoor venues $15