[Dixielandjazz] Pip Avent and His Tuba Smarties

Dan Augustine ds.augustine at mail.utexas.edu
Thu May 12 21:31:52 PDT 2005

Folks--
     Bethought myself to announce to interested tuba-fans that Pip
Avent (formerly of Australia's wonderful Society Syncopators) has his
own CD out now, and i just got it.
     It's called _Pip Avent and His Tuba Smarties_ and apparently is
privately published, although it does say that it was recorded by
James Clark @ NMIT Studios (he now plays bass with the SS).  The
instrumentation is Pip on tuba, Ben Johnson on piano, Jeff Arthur on
guitar and banjo, James Clark on double bass, and Brett Newton on
drums.  They do tunes such as "Tuba Smarty", "Killing Me Softly with
His Song", "Farmer's Market", "Istanbul (Not Constantinople)", and
"Baby Elephant Walk".
     I got mine via an Australian website called
http://www.indie-cds.com/main.htm

     Dan