[Dixielandjazz] Re: Sweet Fields, First Choice

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Tue May 3 17:38:44 PDT 2005

Dear Ingemar,
Here is what I have regarding "Sweet Fields" and "First Choice".
The easy one first.
My information credits "First Choice" to (John Brunious-Bob Thomas-Willie
Humphrey).
It was first recorded in New York for Jazztone by Paul Barbarin's New
Orleans Band in Dec 1954.
"Sweet Fields" (by the 1955 Eureka Brass Band) I am sure, was discussed on
the DJML some time back.
Unfortunately, I can't find anything under that name in my DJML file.
Listmate Phil O'Rourke may recall this, as he is more of an expert in this
1950s New Orleans jazz period. I think he may have been involved in the
thread at the time.
Kind regards,
Bill.