[Dixielandjazz] Re: 'Obbligato' (was: An outstanding tuba solo)

Dan Augustine ds.augustine at mail.utexas.edu
Mon May 2 12:20:56 PDT 2005

Bill, Russ, and DJML--
     I think you're both right, almost.  ("It's a breath mint! It's a
candy mint!  It's both!")(or, from Pogo: "Is a Jack higher than an
Ace, or is it smaller than a Spade?  It's both, leastwise it's
mostly.")
     My copy of the _Harvard Dictionary of Music_ (second edition,
1969) says about 'obbligato' this:

     "Obligatory, usually with reference to an instrument (_violino
      obbligato_) or part that must not be omitted; the opposite is
      _ad libitum_.  Unfortunately, through misunderstanding or
      carelessness, the term has come to mean a mere accompanying
      part that may be omitted if necessary.  As a result, one must
      decide in each individual case whether obbligato means 'obbligato'
      or 'ad libitum'; usually it means the former in early music and
      the latter in more recent pieces."

In popular music like dixieland, my own feeling is that the original
solo is frequently quoted (badly or partially sometimes) as a custom,
or a way of honoring the song and the player.  The clarinet player
then usually goes on to play his own solo afterwards.

     Dan