[Dixielandjazz] RE: obligato

Tamas Ittzes bohem at fibermail.hu
Mon May 2 12:23:28 PDT 2005

Yes, Bill is right, obligato (obbligato in Italian) means obligatory. So
in High Society's case the clarinet solo is an "obbligato solo" - i.e.
in that piece every clarinetist takes the same solo, more or less note
for note. (Sorry, Russ.) Think of the beginning of West End Blues where
most trumpet players do Armstrong's version as it cannot be surpassed
and it really is part of the tune now. And I'm sure we could come up
with millions of similar examples. (Some of the Mortons etc.)

By the way, the obbligato clarinet solo of High Society is a kind of
counterpoint of (to) the melody so it's like an obligatory embellishment
of the tune.

Cheers,

Tamas
Tamas ITTZES - violin teacher, ragtime pianist, festival organizer
Bohem Ragtime Jazzband, Kecskemet Jazz Foundation
Mailing address: H-6001 KECSKEMET, Pf. 652., Hungary
Phone: +36(20)82-447-82
E-mails: tamas at bohemragtime.com, bohem at fibermail.hu
Web site: http://www.bohemragtime.com