[Dixielandjazz] Acoustics

Charles Suhor csuhor at zebra.net
Tue Mar 29 10:13:00 PST 2005

When playing with a combo or big band in an echo environment like a gym
or a shopping mall, my best break is when I know the book, the head
arrangements, musicians' approaches to time, etc., because of
longstanding playing with the group. Hard to explain, but based on this
prior knowledge we can visualize what we can't hear directly, and
everybody "humors" everyone else as we lay into the time and phrasing.
There's a limit to this that Jim has described but I've never been in
that bad a situation. Also, it's much worse if an electric guitar or
piano are playing a flat four-on-the-beat rather than comping, because
the delay in 4/4 is very unforgiving.

Charlie Suhor