[Dixielandjazz] Applause

Robert S. Ringwald robert at ringwald.com
Sun Mar 27 13:29:02 PST 2005

Larry of LARRY'S Signs and Large Format Printing writes:

(snip)
> I prefer to enjoy
> the Jazz convention of applause for solos as well as at the end of tunes.
> Additionally I thank the audience by a wave or tip of the hat.  I think it
> helps to bond the audience with me, the musician.
(snip)

Bob Ringwald responds:

Unfortunately, the habit of aplauding for every solo, good or bad, has
become the norm.

Often, especially at a Jazz Club where very amateur musicians might be
playing, they get as much of an aplause as a professional/exelent musician
will get.

I especially hate to see this when a youth band is playing and a trumpet
player who has no talent at all for improvising has learned that if he plays
a high note that does not fit in the solo, he will get a bigger aplause.  I
feel that this fosters showboating in a young player and is, in the long
run, unfair to him.

--Bob Ringwald K6YBV
Placerville, CA USA